Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Electronic Puzzles

One of the best things about playing a game with some form of technology (Steampunk/Modern/Post Apocalyptic) is that you can turn your riddles into electronic puzzles to be solved by the PCs. I used one at the last Exiles event and it worked well.

The big benefit of a puzzle like this is that you can have a trigger that doesn't need to be marshaled. You can simply use terminals for a key code or a 1 in x chance to pick the right answer (that's what I did). It's great for immersion and if done correctly, doesn't need a hands on marshal or a break in play.

Of course, I may be biased in favor of electronic puzzles. I am an Electrical Engineer after all.

The one I used had six terminals, one of which turned on a light bulb and played a pulsed buzz. The five wrong ones would simply play a constant buzz, so I would know from a distance what happened and could react accordingly. If I was at home, I'd include a picture of the prop, but alas, I'm in NY/NJ this week.

1 comment: